With only 10 days to go to Valentine's Day, why not memorise these fun facts and retell them to your loved one across the table at a romantic dinner. Much brownie points will be gained and you will look like a love expert!
1. It was considered extremely bad luck to sign a Valentine’s Day card in Victorian times.
2. Its not only humans who get to share the love on this day. About 3% of pet owners will give gifts to their pets on Valentine's Day.
3. On average over 1 billion cards are sent each year on Valentine's Day. Making it the second largest seasonal card sending time of the year.
4. Ever wondered where the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.” came from? During the Middle Ages young women and men drew names from a jug to see who would be there Valentine that day. They would then pin this name to their sleeve for a week for everyone to see.
5. Richard Cadbury founder of Cadbury's Chocolate, produced the first box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day in the late 1800s for his wife. He presented them in a heart shaped box which he decorated himself. The rest is history.
6. More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are sold each year for Valentine’s Day.
7. It is actually women who purchase about 85 percent of all valentines day gifts each year.
8. Surprisingly it is teachers who receive the most Valentine’s Day cards each year. This is then followed by children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and of course beloved pets.
9. The number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s Day each year averages at a staggering 220,00.
10. If you don't have a partner or a special someone in your life at the moment do not despair. You can pop over to Finland where Valentine’s Day is called Ystävänpäivä. This means “Friend’s day”. It’s more about remembering your friends than your loved ones.
Hopefully this has given you some romantic topics to discuss at the dinner table. Valentine's Day is just around the corner and so are we. Why not pop in and see us for a beautiful gift for your loved one on this special day or check us out online.